Strawberry "Marmalade", or "Marmolada", obtained by very experienced and famous Italian breeders. The variety is known as very promising for home gardening, productive, unpretentious and resistant to disease.
The description of the variety is well known to gardeners in our country and allows us to classify "Marmalade" garden strawberries as market varieties - medium ripening, transportable.
Description and characteristics of the variety
Strawberry called "Marmalade" forms a crop of large berries in bulk regular conical shape with a slight pointed nose. The color of the berry is bright red. The surface is homogeneous, with a very pronounced sheen.
A fully ripened berry is characterized by excellent shape retention, does not crease and does not flow, which completely removes the problem of transporting the crop. Commodity berry has an average weight of 30–40 g. With proper care, the average productivity of the Marmolada berry bush is 750-850 g.
Bushes are low. The leaves are dark green in color, medium in size, raised above the surface of the soil. The berry plant is quite compactly placed on the ridges. Inflorescences are located above the leaves in an upward direction. Large-sized flowers, multi-petal type.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
Strawberry variety "Marmalade" has a number of advantages, which made it very popular in home gardening:
- unpretentiousness and good indicators of adaptation to growing conditions;
- presentation of ripe berries;
- good taste of a fully ripened berry;
- the possibility of transporting the harvested crop for sale in the markets;
- resistance of berry plantings to defeat verticellosis wilting;
- high productivity, which may vary depending on the used agricultural techniques.
The yield of garden strawberry "Marmalade" with proper care is very good, therefore this variety is preferred not only by amateur gardeners, but also in farms. The variety is zoned for cultivation in the mild continental climate of northern Italy and is very suitable for cultivation in central Russia in Ukraine and Belarus.
How to plant strawberries
The highest productivity indicators of the variety "Marmolada" are observed in the second year of fruiting. After three years of cultivation, productivity is significantly reduced, which involves the replacement of berry stands. When growing on farms, preference should be given to growing this variety in a one- or two-year-old crop using agrofibre or mulching film, which will minimize the cost of disease prevention and prevent the degeneration of varietal berry bushes "Marmolada".
Seedling Planting Technology
Strawberry "Marmalade" is a large-fruited variety of short daylight hours with one-time fruiting, which suggests some features of planting and growing a berry culture:
- for landing "Marmolada" is required to divert well-lit areas that do not have a high groundwater location;
- if the site is located in a lowland or there is a risk of flooding, it is very important to use ridges for planting strawberry seedlings;
- the cultivation of the variety "Marmalade" requires allotment of areas represented by soils with a neutral environment, and if necessary, liming is carried out;
- when planting strawberry seedlings "Marmolada" to obtain a crop, you must adhere to the classical scheme and set a distance of at least 25-30 cm between berry bushes and 50 cm between rows;
- when planting seedlings to obtain high-quality mother plants, the distance between plants should be 45–50 cm with a row spacing of 60–70 cm;
- you should carefully monitor the deepening of the growth point or "heart" of the berry bush;
- immediately after planting, a plentiful watering of the plant should be carried out.
Garden strawberries "Marmalade" is grown not only on ridges of open ground, but also in hiding culture. The second option for growing the berry culture "Marmolada" allows you to get a crop about two weeks earlier than the deadlines announced by the originator. Despite the stated indicators of winter hardiness and frost resistance, it is recommended to use shelter in the form of fir spruce branches or other organics in late autumn.
You may also be interested in an article in which we talk about strawberries of the Kama variety.
Variety "Marmolada" is very promising and in demand for commercial cultivation and amateur gardening. It is widely known in Europe as a fruitful variety. Strawberry "Marmalade" forms very large fruits, weighing up to 40 g, regular conical shape, bright red color. The tip of the berry is a bit flattened, pointed in shape. When ripening, the color of the berry begins from the cuttings, but the tip often enough is completely white, even at the stage of full ripening.
Sepals are bright green, slightly raised. Ripe berry flesh is bright, red, moderately dense. The berries are fragrant and sweet, with unexpressed sourness. Evaluation of taste by consumers is high. With the purpose of transportation, harvesting is carried out somewhat earlier than full ripening. With proper care, the average yield is about 14-15 tons or more per 1 ha.
How to grow strawberries under hay
The quality indicators of the berries of this Italian variety are fully consistent with its name. The reviews about the unpretentious, but very productive variety of the foreign selection "Marmolada" are positive, therefore the strawberry "Marmalada" has gained widespread popularity in home gardening of our country. However, it should be borne in mind that the variety "Marmolada" has poor resistance to damage by brown and white spotting, therefore, high-quality and timely preventive measures should be taken.