Cucumbers are one of the most common vegetable crops cultivated both on an industrial scale and in almost every household plot. Everyone has long been accustomed to the fact that the reproduction of cucumbers occurs by sowing seeds. At the same time, only the cultivation methods differ: seedling or seedling, in open or closed ground.
But what if the weather let down, and most of the seedlings died from the cold, or the seeds were of poor quality, and the germination rate was too low. It is usually too late to sow in such cases, and it is ineffective. Increasing the number of plants and extending the harvest until the first frost will help the propagation of cucumbers by cuttings or rooting of stepchildren. Those same stepsons who are cut off and thrown away or sent to compost. But this is an excellent planting material, which is indispensable if you need to replace the plant and to increase the yield.
How to root cucumber stepchildren?
Propagation of cucumbers by stepchildren is possible in two ways: by cuttings and layering. They differ in the sequence of actions. When grafting, the lateral lash is first separated and only after the formation of the roots, the stepson is rooted. Reproduction by layering, on the contrary, begins with the formation of the root system and only after that the lateral shoot is disconnected from the main stem, and it becomes an independent plant.
For the full development of the central stem, the plant needs formation. To do this, remove the side shoots. But not all stepsons are suitable for rooting, therefore they choose the strongest and healthiest lashes. Technology:
- Take a container (preferably dark in color) with a small amount of clean well or rain water, you can also use ordinary, but settled water. Stepchildren are placed in the container, leaving 2-3 upper leaves on them, or cuttings are cut from them, each of which should have one branch from 2 to 5 cm in length.
- In order to create comfortable conditions, the container is removed to a shaded place.
- In order for the plant to spend all its energy on the formation of roots, all small greens and antennae are removed, and large leaves are carefully trimmed, reducing at least by half.
- It can take from five days to two weeks to form the root system.
- The water in the container is not changed, but it is regularly updated. In this case, you need to ensure that the water level is 1.5-2 cm.
- When white roots form on the cuttings, it means that the seedlings are ready and it's time to transplant them into the ground.
- First, you can transplant it into cups with a nutrient mixture or immediately plant it on a pre-prepared bed.
- Dig a hole and add the nutrient composition. Carefully, so as not to damage the roots, the seedlings are placed there. You can place 1-3 lashes in each hole. After that, the cucumbers are lightly sprinkled with earth, spilled abundantly with warm water and filled with soil.
In the future, they adhere to standard agrotechnical methods for caring for cucumbers.
Breeding method by layering
This method is more suitable for growing cucumbers in a greenhouse or at home. Cuttings root more reliably, but much slower than cuttings. Technology:
- For propagation of cucumbers by layering, seeds for seedlings should be sown with the expectation that fruiting begins no later than the end of May.
- After the seedlings get stronger and begin to bear fruit, pinch the tops of all the lashes. After that, the plant will begin to actively form lateral lashes.
- All leaves are removed from the central stem.
- When the branches grow at least 2 cm, they are covered with leaves and buds, the central stem is bent to the ground, fixed in this position with wooden pins and sprinkled with humus on top, while the branches remain on the surface. The layer of humus should be 1.5–2 cm.
- After 2–5 days, the cucumber layers will begin to take root, and after another two weeks, the lash can be divided into several parts.
In the first 3-5 days after transplanting, the layers need abundant watering and a temperature drop to + 18-20 degrees. Further, they need the same care as all other cucumbers.
Cucumbers obtained from rooted stepchildren give their first harvest within a month after transplantation.
Galina Lepishina, Moscow:
“Last year the summer turned out to be cold, many cucumbers died. She was saved only by the way of rooting her stepsons. "
Svetlana Tomina, Kostroma:
“When I moved to my dacha, several cucumbers broke. I poked the stems into a jar of water, they gave roots. I planted it in the garden, they grew up healthy and made me happy with the harvest ”.
Vasily Velyutin, Ivanovo:
“We had no sense, the stepsons did not give roots. It is safer to sow the seeds again, by August they will. Better than wasting time. "
Irina Berdina, p. Stupino:
“Recently, every year, while forming cucumbers, I break off the side lashes, shorten them and immediately put them in a jar of water. A week later I get full-fledged seedlings. So, if a cucumber gets sick or dies, there is always something to replace it. "
Marina Chernova, Samara:
“I know that tomatoes can be propagated by cuttings, they give roots themselves. But I didn't know about cucumbers. I just dug in the layers. "