Potato "Baron" from the originator Ural Scientific Research Institute of Agriculture is included in the State Register of the Russian Federation for the Volga-Vyatka region and refers to early ripening table varieties.
Bushes are high, leaf type, semi-erect. Corollas of flowers are medium in size and painted in reddish-purple. Leaves are medium sized, open, green. The peel on the potato tubers is smooth, yellow. The eyes are located at medium depth. Ripening early ripe. The period from seedlings to technical maturity takes from 70 to 75 days.
The shape of the tubers is oval. The average weight of potatoes can vary from 110 to 195 grams. The pulp is light yellow, with excellent flavoring characteristics, contains not more than 14.8% of starch.
The characteristics of the marketability of the harvested crop are high. The patent holder of the GNU Ural Scientific Research Institute of Agriculture declares very high quality characteristics of Baron potatoes.
Advantages and disadvantages
In addition to the high taste and marketability of potatoes, the description of the variety reports the presence of the following advantages:
- high resistance to the causative agent of potato cancer;
- weak susceptibility to golden potato cyst-forming nematode;
- marketability of the variety reaches 82-96%;
- keeping quality is an average of 95%;
- the total yield under proper care can reach 235 kg / ha.
According to the results of the All-Russian Research Institute of Phytopathology, the susceptibility of tops and moderate susceptibility of tubers to late blight is observed. When grown in the field, a fairly severe defeat of the plant by scab ordinary is characteristic.
Potato "Baron" has virtually no flaws and is characterized as a wonderful Ural variety, one of the best in taste in the early ripening group.
Potato Variety Selection
Dates and features of landing
To get a high yield of early potatoes, you should adhere to the cultivation agricultural technique, taking into account the biological characteristics of the plant.
- Early potatoes of the Baron variety must be placed on elevated, shaded, and well-sun-warmed areas.
- The best predecessors for Baron potatoes are cabbage and a variety of root crops, and you can grow this vegetable crop in the same place for no more than two years in a row.
- The standard depth of soil treatment at the site for planting potatoes is at least 25-30 cm.
- About 15-20 grams of ammonium nitrate or 10-15 grams of urea should be added per square meter of planted area.
- To begin to germinate the tubers before planting should be a month, laying them in bright rooms at a temperature of 12-18 ° C.
- Properly prepared potato tubers should have strong shoots, the length of which does not exceed 1 cm.
Planting of Baron early-ripening potatoes should be carried out after the soil at the landing site warms up to 8 degrees Celsius at a depth of 10 cm.
The main work on caring for early potatoes of the Baron variety, which allow to obtain high yields, consists in timely and thorough control of weeds and loosening of the soil. Important events are also:
- stimulation of emergence of shoots;
- activation of tuberization;
- prevention of greening potato tubers.
As soon as the tops of the leaves reach 20 cm, the first preventive treatment for late blight should be carried out. For this purpose, it is recommended to use combined preparations, among which means are particularly effective. "Acrobat" and "Ridomil Gold."
A particularly important point when caring for potatoes of any variety, including the Baron, is the timely protection of plantings from the Colorado potato beetle using the most modern and effective drugs. When growing such early potato varieties as Baron, one preventative treatment is sufficient. To protect the plantings from scab, it is necessary after sowing to plant such vegetable siderates as oil radish, mustard or winter rye in place of potatoes. In the spring, they just smell.
Late spring frosts are of particular danger to early potato plantings. Potato tops can die off when the temperature drops to minus 1.75 ° C. Tubers can withstand cooling to minus 1.45 ° C. To protect potato plantations from freezing, it is desirable to cover the plants with an additional layer of soil by means of a high one-sided earthing up with a wide hoe. In addition, a good result is given by sheltering a small area of landings with plastic wrap with irrigation and smoke.
How to plant potatoes
Reviews of gardeners
Of course, for one year it is very difficult to judge the yield and quality of the grown potatoes. But after receiving the first crop, the feedback from most gardeners on the Baron variety is positive. Having received high yields in the first year, summer residents are no longer eager to find another variety and are happy to grow the Baron. Early-ripening Baron potatoes stand out from other varieties and are considered one of the best in taste among all early-ripening potato varieties. The variety is unpretentious and gives high yields, even under not very favorable weather conditions.