It is now impossible to imagine how you can do without potatoes. Prepared in every possible way, it diversifies our everyday and festive table. Among the many recognized varieties of potatoes, a variety with the unusual name "Blue" is noteworthy.
Potato "Golubizna" - a variety of Russian selection. He is known, rather, to amateur summer residents than professionals. The bush of this root crop is medium-sized, not too sprawling. Leaves - deep green color, voluminous. At the time of flowering potato bushes you can admire, because they resemble cornflower glades. It is for the bright blue color of the flowers that this variety of potatoes got its unusual name.
The tubers of this potato with numerous small eyes are recognizable due to their characteristic shape - rounded with a blunt apex. Their peel is covered with a fine mesh. Such potatoes weigh up to 150 g. Their pulp is white, it does not darken during any heat treatment, which is very valuable in cooking.
Potato "Golubizna" refers to mid-season varieties. It means that from the time of planting the tubers to the harvest, you need to wait about three months.
When cooking, the potato has good taste and color, it is friable and suitable for making mashed potatoes and any dishes based on it, for example, chips. Due to its high starch content (up to 20%), this potato is widely used as a raw material in industrial processing.
This variety is widely recognized among gardeners due to the following qualities:
- Productivity - high and stable (not less than half a ton from a hundred). According to the reviews of summer residents, when growing tubers, their yield increases by 20-30%.
- Undemanding to soils. Gives a good crop on poor soils (loam, clay and sand).
- Marketability - up to 98%. This potato can be transported over long distances, it is well stored almost until the new crop.
- Appearance - the tubers are even, white.
This unpretentious variety is grown everywhere: in the Volga region, in the central region, in the North Caucasus, in Moldova, in Ukraine and in other regions.
Potato "Blue": features of the variety
The following are particularly valuable properties of the Blue Potato potato:
- Drought tolerance due to the ability of the root system to grow deep into the soil in search of water. At the same time, in a particularly dry summer, tubers can deform, but their quantity, size and taste do not suffer from this.
- Low susceptibility to temperature extremes and prolonged cold snap.
- Adaptability to conditions of close location of subsoil waters.
- It has high resistance to most viral diseases of potato, late blight, rot, scab.
Dates and rules of landing
- The best period for planting the variety "Golubizna" is considered the beginning of May. If the spring turned out to be friendly and warm, then it can be carried out a couple of weeks earlier. When choosing a planting period, it is necessary to take into account that the temperature of the soil at a depth in the bayonet of a shovel at this time is at least six degrees.
- With the early planting of this potato, you can get a better crop than with a late planting. The advantage here is the possibility of introducing a larger dose of fertilizer and that the tubers in this case have time to ripen better. And this increases their "keeping quality" during long-term storage. And the starch content in the tubers obtained during early planting is higher, and the nitrates in them are less.
- To grow large tubers, potato pits should be placed according to the scheme 70 by 30 cm. Seed potatoes that do not require large potatoes should be grown denser.
- It is better to cut large potatoes before planting. Harvest from this will only benefit.
- When planting the variety "Blue" is acceptable as comb method, and ridge. If the subsoil waters are close, then the first method is better.
- Potato "Blue" needs three times the processing of bushes against pests and specific diseases. Harvesting begins in late summer. 2 weeks before, it is advisable to get rid of the yellowed potato tops.
Reviews of gardeners about the variety
Summer residents kindly speak about this potato. Unpretentiousness in leaving, responsiveness to top dressing, high and stable productivity in any conditions, resistance to many diseases that ruin the harvest of other varieties are appreciated in it.
It is also considered very important that you can significantly save on planting material without losing the final result, cutting large potatoes into several parts.
According to gardeners, fertilizers (especially in sandy soil) should be applied as follows:
- add a spoonful of potassium and superphosphate to each well;
- diluted in half with water, the humus must be poured into a hole, sprinkled with earth on top so that the potatoes do not come into contact with the fertilizer.
Everyone who grows the Golubizna potato has been familiar with it for many years, are not going to change it to another variety. They are satisfied with its excellent taste and aroma.
How to grow potatoes from seeds
The variety "Golubizna" - a long recognized potato of domestic selection - is always a guaranteed harvest at minimum cost, even under adverse conditions.