We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Domestic breeders worked hard to create potato varieties suitable for cultivation in far from comfortable weather conditions. One of them, known to many summer residents, is the Hostess variety.
It is difficult to say why this mid-season potato variety, once created by the Siberian NIIKH, was called "Hostess." But it is safe to say that many housewives are familiar with him and appreciated his excellent taste.
The bush of this root crop is quite high, almost upright. Its large dark green leaves have wavy edges. His flowers are light red or purple.
Varietal potatoes have large, rounded, even tubers, the weight of which ranges from one hundred to two hundred grams. The eyes on them are small, and the peel is dark pink. Pulp - cream color, not darkening during heat treatment. And the taste is just wonderful. Chips, instant mashed potatoes and french fries are made from this potato.
Why has this potato recently won many supporters among amateur growers? The answer to this question will become clear if you familiarize yourself with the characteristics of the variety in question:
- This mid-season potato variety ripens approximately three months after planting. And his cleaning ends at the end of September.
- It easily tolerates drought and sudden cooling.
- Potato yield is high. With hundreds, you can collect more than half a ton of root crops. Moreover, even in adverse weather conditions, these indicators do not fluctuate very much. Typically, 12 to 18 medium-sized tubers are obtained from the bush.
- Digging potatoes, you can not be afraid that it will be damaged in this case.
- The starch content in tubers exceeds 20%.
- This potato can be transported in large quantities without fear of spoilage.
- At a low temperature (2-3 degrees), the tubers are well and stored for a long time.
- This variety is almost not affected by the nematode, cancer and various viruses. Although late blight and scab (in the absence of prevention), it can become infected.
Potatoes of the Hostess variety are grown in Siberia, in the Far East, where spring frosts often occur and summers are hot. Gardeners from the central regions of Russia, the Volga region, Ukraine and Moldova are familiar with it.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
Having familiarized with the characteristic features of the "Hostess" variety, we can say that its advantages include:
- versatility in growing conditions;
- stable yield;
- pleasant taste and a large amount of starch in tubers;
- high safety during transportation, long-term storage;
- resistance to possible damage during harvesting;
- low susceptibility to many specific potato infections.
In fairness, it should be noted that under especially adverse weather conditions, so-called growth cracks appear on the tubers. They spoil the appearance of potatoes, but their taste does not deteriorate from this.
Potato: planting and care
Potato "Hostess" is grown only in open ground. The optimal period for planting is the beginning of May, when the earth at a depth of 10 cm is warmed up to a temperature of at least seven degrees.
Experts recommend alternating the planting of this potato with winter crops, legumes, as well as annual and perennial herbs.
Before planting, it is advisable to add fertilizer to each well in the form of a kilogram of humus and two tablespoons of ash and nitrophoska. You can add to them a half dose of superphosphate. Fertilizers need to be sprinkled with a two-centimeter layer of earth, on which potatoes will be laid. It is advisable to germinate them two weeks before.
When planting, the distance between the tubers should be at least 35 cm, and between the rows - more than half a meter (for the convenience of hilling row spacing). The depth of the planting pits depends on the soil structure on the site. In clay areas, it is 2-3 cm less than in sandy areas. Usually it is 7-10 cm. After planting, the beds need to be leveled with a rake so that the earth does not dry out. If subsoil waters come close, then potatoes should be planted in bulk "ridges" up to a dozen and a half centimeters high.
To harvest a decent crop, the Hostess needs the proper care: weeding, watering, hilling and feeding.
- Weeding usually carried out in two stages. The first time 13-18-centimeter shoots get rid of weeds. After a couple of weeks, this process is repeated. The tops that have gained strength “survive” the weeds themselves and do not need weeding.
- Frequency and intensity of irrigation plants depends on weather conditions and soil conditions. A withering, drooping potato leaf eloquently signals a lack of moisture in the ground. To replenish it, it is necessary to water earthen furrows so that water seeps to a depth of half a meter.
- Hilling potatoes carried out before flowering, sprinkling young seedlings with a 5-centimeter layer of earth. This is a reliable protection against possible spring frosts. In addition, you need to loosen the soil between the rows after watering and rain. This is an additional protection against weeds and an improvement in the flow of air to the underground part of plants.
- Before loosening and hilling plants are fed twice. First, they add ash mixed with earth or a little diluted litter under the bush. For the second time, plants are watered under the root with a solution where two tablespoons of superphosphate and a spoon of nitrophoska are added to a bucket of water. Top dressing can be carried out only before the flowering bushes, otherwise nitrates will accumulate in the tubers.
After reading the relevant article on our website, you can learn about the features of growing Baron potatoes.
Reviews of summer residents
Many gardeners consider the Hostess variety quite acceptable for long-term planting in their plots. They appreciate its unpretentiousness, versatility to various climatic conditions, drought tolerance and many other qualities. They especially praise the taste of this potato. Many of the summer residents believe that it is more reliable to grow this variety for seeds themselves, because it is quite difficult to find decent seed potatoes in the markets.
Potato "Hostess" is more and more popular year by year. This is a good choice for vegetable farmers and summer residents.