We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
An aviary for keeping and breeding pheasants must take into account all the requirements for this type of structure. The main thing is that the building is strong and sound. The construction of a house and a walking area for birds will require financial resources. Keeping pheasants with chickens or geese is prohibited. These beautiful birds need to build a separate building where they can live and grow in peace.
Requirements for the pheasant enclosure
Criteria to consider when building a bird aviary:
- to keep pheasants, you need a room for sleeping and rest and a spacious walking area;
- construction is advisable to be carried out away from the road, busy places, since birds are exposed to stress due to noise;
- all structures are placed in a dry, wind-protected place;
- the aviary is enclosed with a fence around the entire perimeter;
- from above, the walking area is covered with a net (plastic or metal) so that the birds do not fly away;
- on the territory of the aviary, feeders, drinkers are installed, low bushes are planted or wooden perches are erected;
- the walking area is sprinkled with sand, fine gravel and planted with grass;
- for decorative pheasants, separate houses are built on the territory of the aviary;
- for meat breeds living in a flock, one common poultry house with perches and nests is built;
- a room for sleeping and resting is constructed of wood, brick or blocks;
- there should be a canopy on the territory of the walking area so that the birds can hide from the rain and heat;
- the aviary should be spacious (1 square meter per bird) and high (1.5-2 m high).
Types of structures
Pheasants are kept in spacious enclosures, similar to large cages lined with metal mesh, on the territory of which poultry houses are built. The choice of construction (house) depends on the breed of birds.
Types of designs for pheasants:
- walking area, fenced with a net, with one blank wall and a canopy from bad weather;
- an open-air cage fenced with a net, on the territory of which low wooden houses are placed for pheasants forming pairs;
- a walking area fenced in with a net, adjacent to a closed, with entrance doors and built of brick or wood, a poultry house for flocks of birds;
- enclosure fenced with a net plus a canopy, built in the form of a polycarbonate greenhouse.
Required tools and materials
An aviary for pheasants can be built from scrap materials (wooden planks, beams). True, the walking area must be covered with a net. If the aviary is left open, the birds may fly away. Sleeping and nesting houses are built from any building materials.
Tools and materials for the construction of an aviary and a poultry house (optional):
- fine-mesh metal mesh for the fence and plastic mesh for the top;
- wooden beams or metal profiles for the construction of the frame;
- iron pillars for support;
- boards, bricks, blocks for building a house;
- slate, tiles, roofing felt, polycarbonate sheets for the construction of a roof or shed;
- hammer, saw, screwdriver, pliers, plane;
- cement, sand, plaster, spatulas, floats;
- paints and varnishes for wood, brushes, rollers;
- nails, screws, staples, bolts;
- overalls, respirator, gloves, goggles.
Calculating the right size
Before you build an enclosure for pheasants, you need to decide on the type of building. It is advisable to draw a draft of the future structure on a sheet of Whatman paper.
Zarechny Maxim Valerievich
Agronomist with 12 years of experience. Our best summer cottage expert.
Based on the drawing, you can roughly calculate how much and what specific materials will be needed to build an aviary and houses for pheasants.
The values that can be guided by when building a walking area and a poultry house:
- a separate bird house is built at the rate of 1 sq. meter per pair;
- a common poultry house for pheasants living in a flock is built at the rate of 1 sq. meter per individual;
- the area of the walking area is calculated based on the number of birds; one pheasant should have 1-1.5 square meters. meters;
- the height of the aviary and the poultry house should be within 1.5-2.5 meters.
How to build an aviary with your own hands
The main stages of building a pheasant enclosure:
- Site preparation and foundation laying for the poultry house. The place where the aviary will be built must be leveled, cleaned of foreign objects, debris, and disinfected with slaked lime. Sprinkle too clayey soil with peat, sand, fine gravel. Along the entire perimeter of the future enclosure, install supports for attaching the mesh. Prepare a site for the construction of a pheasant house (inside the walking area).
- Construction of the foundation for the fence and the foundation for the poultry house. You can dig a ditch around the entire perimeter of the aviary and fill it with concrete, after inserting the frame supports. At the beginning of construction, a foundation for the poultry house is erected (made of concrete or wooden planks located on the scaffold).
- Construction of the frame for the aviary. The construction of the frame begins with the installation of support pillars. They are installed in the ground or in concrete. Support posts should be placed along the edges of the enclosure and in the center of the walking area (to support the hanging net). The frame is constructed from wooden beams or a metal profile.
- Fencing of the aviary with a net and covering the poultry house with building materials. The frame of the aviary is sheathed with a metal mesh from the sides, and covered with a plastic mesh on top. The walls of the house are made of brick or wood.
- Construction of a canopy and roof for the house. The canopy is made of polycarbonate or slate. The cover is installed on the frame. The top of the house is covered with a crate and roofing felt. A single-slope or gable roof is installed on top of slate, tiles, roofing material and boards.
- Poultry house arrangement, floor construction. The concrete foundation is covered with boards. In a wooden building, the floor is also made of wood. The boards are fitted tightly to each other and painted with moisture-proof enamel.
- Construction of perches, feeders and drinking bowls on the territory. After the completion of construction on the street, you can make perches (perches at a height) for birds to rest or plant small bushes. On the territory of the walking area, there must be feeders and drinkers.
Protecting wooden parts from decay
Wooden supports, beams, boards must be protected from adverse weather conditions (moisture, snow, sudden temperature fluctuations). After the installation of structures, the tree is painted with moisture-proof resin-based paints. Wooden materials can be impregnated or varnished.
It is recommended to pre-treat the wood with a primer that protects the surface from the development of mold, fungi and improves the adhesion of the paint to the base.
Arrangement of the aviary
On the territory of the walk there should be feeders, drinkers (preferably bunker type). Birds love to relax on the sand, take sand and ash baths. There should be perches or wooden driftwood in the aviary, on which the pheasants will take off. You can plant low bushes and trees on the walking area. It is advisable to sow the land with grass or cereals.
Approximate calculation of investments
If you build an aviary and a poultry house on your own, then you will have to spend only on the purchase of building materials. The main item of expenditure will be the funds required for the purchase of a fine mesh netting and a plastic mesh for the top.
A running meter of fencing costs about one dollar. The frame and bird houses can be constructed from wooden planks and beams. True, you will need to buy metal poles for support. In general, the construction of a small aviary and a poultry house for 10 pheasants will require a minimum of $ 300.