We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Grapes "Century" was bred in the 80s of the XX century in the United States. It is also known to many winegrowers under the name "Centennial Seedless". This seedless grape variety, which is relatively new to Russian gardeners, was obtained as a result of crossbreeding of the Gold and Q25-6 Emperor x Pirovano 75 varieties.
A grape called Centennial was bred at Davis Station in California, USA. The plant belongs to the category of early ripening, has very vigorous bushes. The grapes are medium-dense and large, conical in shape, weighing 390-400 g. The berries are medium in size, oval, yellow-green in color. The skin is thin, the flesh is relatively juicy and crispy. Sugar content of juice is not more than 13%. Acidity 6 g / l. The taste is pleasant and harmonious. The variety is characterized by sensitivity to the fungus Botryodiplodia theobromae. The “Centennial” raisins are widely used to make very high-quality raisins.
This variety has the following positive characteristics:
- not prone to shedding and rotting berries;
- not subject to burning;
- resistant to many diseases, including mildew and oidium 4 points;
- good as a component of fruit and berry salads;
- ripening period 120-125 days;
- berries do not crack when moisture indicators are violated;
- does not need normalization of inflorescences;
- brushes can remain on the bushes until frost;
- frost resistance up to -23 ˚С.
The disadvantage of the variety is the impossibility of long-term storage of the crop. In addition, the disadvantage is the need for thinning berries in grapes.
Grapes "Century": features of the variety
The soil for growing grapes of the “Centennial” variety should be prepared depending on the planting period, with the condition that the soil has time to settle well and accumulate enough moisture for rooting the plants. Grape rows are recommended to be located from south to north. Landing can be carried out in the autumn or spring.
The soil in the areas reserved for the vineyard must necessarily be characterized by a favorable water-air regime, optimal physico-chemical properties, and also contain the nutrients necessary for the growth and development of grapes.
Planting grapes "Century" is carried out in accordance with the following requirements:
- on low-power light soils, landing pits should have dimensions of 40 x 40 cm with a depth of at least 60 cm;
- on heavy soils, planting pits for grapes should have dimensions of 60 x 80 cm with a depth of at least 70 cm;
- ground water should not be close to plantings;
- for the vineyard, you should choose a site that is not at risk of flooding with melt water in the spring;
- it is not recommended to plant grape bushes in areas located on the eastern and northern slopes: this can cause the freezing of the vineyard in winter;
- at the bottom of all landing pits, it is necessary to equip the drainage layer, then complex fertilizers should be applied, as well as humus to fill up or an embankment from fertile soil;
- Before planting grapes in the spring, high-quality root system treatment should be carried out with growth stimulants and disinfectants, followed by sanitary pruning;
- You can plant grapes in the fall exclusively in moist soil, and the best dates for autumn planting are the end of October - mid-November.
In household plots, it is advisable to choose the warmest and most well-lit place for growing grapes. A very good result is guaranteed by growing grapes from the sunny side of the house or farm building. In this case, it is necessary to deviate from the foundation of the structure of about 1-1.5 m
Grapes are among fast-growing vines and require special supporting elements for proper vertical growth. When planting, the main types of fertilizers for grape bushes should be used organic matter - compost and manure, mineral substances - potassium salt and superphosphate.
Grapes "Century" is simple in cultivation and care. However, when cultivating this variety, one should pay attention to some nuances.
- 1. The soil in the areas prepared for the cultivation of grapes should be maintained in the most loose and clean condition from weeds.
- 2. In order for the grapes to grow and bear fruit well, it is recommended to apply such organic fertilizer as bird droppings, which contain the most important nutrients for grapes in an easily digestible form. For growth and development, the plant needs nitrogen, potash and phosphorus fertilizers, as well as trace elements. The “Crystalon” remedy has a very good effect.
- 3. Currently, drip, aboveground and underground watering of plants is used by winegrowers, and the choice of method depends on climatic conditions and soil composition. Especially important are autumn and spring water-charging irrigation, as well as abundant irrigation of the vineyard during the active flowering phase.
The Centennial grape variety is susceptible to phylloxera, therefore, agronomists recommend vaccinating it on phylloxera-resistant stocks. It is very important to remember that the load of each plant by shoots should be 22-24 with a nutritional area of 4-6 m2. Pruning of fruiting vines is average, 6-8 eyes.
You may also be interested in an article in which we talk about the varietal characteristics of Rusball grapes.
Reviews of winegrowers
Grapes of the "Century" variety have earned good reviews from Russian and foreign winegrowers due to the fact that they do not require normalization of inflorescences, have a bisexual flowering type and high pollination rates. However, it should be noted that the variety needs thinning berries, and it is advisable to remove part of the still unripe grapes immediately after ringing and flowering.
“Kishmish Century” is not susceptible to peeling, therefore it should not be used for processing “Gibberellin”. According to the observations of gardeners, the variety has a fairly low fertility of buds at the base and therefore needs a long pruning, which will increase yield.
How and when to root grape cuttings
With a maximum load on the bushes of 30-35 eyes, the formation of rather large clusters is observed, which have a pointed and cylindrical shape. The brushes are characterized by medium density, excellent transportability and excellent presentation, which allows us to recommend this variety for cultivation for sale.